From:
"Laura H. Firth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 12:30:26 EDT
Re: comments on the quote ..."Learning in old age is writing on sand, but
learning in youth
    is engraving on stone."

Maria and William--

As have many list subscribers, I agree that your quote is valid "museum stuff."
After all, what are we in but the business of education?

I think William's suggestion of a log for visitors' comments and opinions is
excellent. People value an institution more when they have a sense of ownership
for it, acquired by contribution, in this case by comment.

To add a comment of my own, are not the roots of many great ideas--for art,
literature, architecture, music--first scribbled in the relative sand of napkins
and the backs of old envelopes? So, too, can "learning in old age" contribute to
"engraving on stone" when old learners share their knowledge with the young.

Laura H. Firth
Interpretive Exhibits Writer