From:
Linda Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 00:37:16 +1100
Silly me, in my enthusiasm to tell everyone about it, I forget to mention
the title of Linda Hutcheon's article in 'Material History Bulletin': 'The
Post Always Rings Twice: The Postmodern and the Postcolonial'.

The abstract goes thus:
It is now a truism of cultural theory that, while the terms postmodern and
postcolonial obviously share more than their prefatory posts, the broad
cultural enterprises which they have come to designate are by no means
conflatable.  This detailed critical examination of one controversial case
study - the ROM's 1898-90 'Into the Heart of Africa' exhibit - and its
aftermath attempts to open up to debate the conflictual space not only
between postmodern and postcolonial (and therefore between empire and
modernity), but also the space between curatorial/designer intention and
actual realization in a particular institution, between individual
interpretation and community response, between representation as critique
and representation as either appropriation or endorsement, and - in the end
- between the discursive politics of irony and what Cornel West calls 'the
cultural politics of difference'.

Linda Young
Cultural Heritage
University of Canberra