From:
Donald Sucha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 1995 22:16:37 GMT
Mrs Dale Peters ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: This message is posted on behalf of the Durban Art Gallery, not on
: the list.

: They seek information and advice on hanging systems for their
: paintings. The gallery is housed in a declared National Monument, which
: precludes structural changes. They are currently obliged to drill holes in
: the walls, which have to be plugged and repainted after every rehang.  Any
: suggestions on a more flexible system, which will take the weight of heavy
: paintings, and still be aesthetically pleasing?

Dale:  Your friends should consider the following points...

1.  The time spent hanging an exhibition with hanging devices is far
greater than the time spent patching and painting walls after an
exhibition.  I have used several different systems (wire from the ceiling,
cornices and v-grooves with hanging rods), and found this to be the case
with all of them. Plus, none of the hanging systems I can think of are
aesthetically satisfactory.

2.  Attaching directly to the wall is much sturdier and safer than any
hanging device, most of which have difficulty dealing with security
fastening devices.

3.  The method of hanging, in terms of safety of the work, should be
determined by the work itself.  If you stick with one particular method
of hanging (like those mentioned above) you run the risk of someone
mounting a work in a way which is unsatisfactory for *that* work.

I would advise you to stick with patching and painting between
exhibitions.  To make things easier, you could put plywood behind the
drywall covering (this is not a structural change).  We have done this in
all our galleries and found that there are very few works we can not hang.
Also, stick with white paint and you can just touch up between shows (you
will still have to completely repaint every year).

 --

"Time is what keeps everything from
happening at once."
                        Egon Spengler