From:
HNEEDHAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 15:31:52 +0000
Edward;

An interesting and still valid comparison, I think.

Since the early 1950s, state and similar fairs seem to have moved farther and
farther away from their traditional roles in education and have become, as you
suggest, more purely entertainment devices and I sense that people have become
progressively fed up with the emptiness of what is now being offered - and the
swelling prices that have accompanied this development.

I think that, in addition to the museums attached to the fairs which you have
suggested, we are today seeing other evidence of a return to first principles.
Fairs such as the local Central Canadian Exhibition, which had turfed out the
quadupeds years ago, have brought them back by popular demand. Surely the
opportunity a fair provides to an inner city child to see livestock close up
has at least the potential to be educational; one has only to watch the wonder
spread on city kids' faces the first time they get close to farm animals to
appreciate what is happening inside the heads.

The same is true of the horticultural, craft and other exhibits and those
associated with still-vital groups such as 4-H. Can the opportunity to see what
is judged to be the best of the best NOT be educational? As you can see, my
philosophy of education is not entirely devoid of Victorian sentiment!

Is it just me, or are these things really coming back? Are the state fairs
getting to look and feel more and more like "State Fair"? (minus, of course,
the makeup and hairdos.)  Some, like the wonderful New York State Fair, from my
family's home territory, never lost it!!!

I agree with you, Edward. The venues different but there's not a lot of
difference in the mission. Another example - closer to home for you - is Stuart
Parnes's troupe of actors, who do the wonderful skits with the kids near your
dock. A great blend of education and entertainment. Regards to Stu!

Harry Needham