From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 17:42:13 -0400
Anita,

I'll check with our archaeolgical collections manager next week after the
holiday.

You have to realize that many conservators have encountered endless cases of
carelessness and downright negligence in the care of antiquities & artifacts.
 We react to even good-natured  & innocent queries such as yours with the
same rabid reaction which archaeologists have when they hear about site
looting and the antiquities trade!  Just imagine how you would react if
someone advertised on Museum-L that they wanted to buy Anasazi pottery, for
instance?

It was for this very reason that I offered to try to find you shards (already
broken) from unprovenanced sites, which number in the millions, and which
could ethically be utilized to form an historic "type" study collection such
as you are attempting to do.

I understand where Jack is coming from, but he should be more civil, patient,
and far less personal.  If we take the time to express our own concerns to
inform and enlighten,  then perhaps we might all respect and appreciate each
other and our views.

I would be happy to swap drinks with Jack...  It'd be interesting to have him
yell in my ear!  ;~)

Smiles,
Dave

David Harvey