From:
Leonard Will <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 10:36:54 GMT
In article: <[log in to unmask]>
Suzanne Mclean <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Michaele T. Haynes wrote:
>
> > to me that someone else may have already solved this problem, duh!  So,
> > anyway, if you know of any published (or better yet, on-line) list of
> > standard textile and costume terms (that can be adapted to catalog
> > descriptions), I'd be spastic with delight to hear about it.  Our
> > collection is primarily western, but we do have a bunch of non-western
> > stuff as well.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Michaele,
>
> We know what a daunting task you are looking at. Our Collection consists
> of about 15,000 textile items of western and cross cultural origin. We
> have created and continue to edit a computer data standards manual which
> includes a list of Object Names for the Clothing and Textiles Collection
> at the University of Alberta. We are sending you a copy of this
> Documentation Standards Manual, and the appendix for the Object Names
> field, directly.

There are three other possible leads to explore on pursuing costume
terminology:

1. The Costume Committee of ICOM (the International Council of Museums)
produced in 1982 a "Vocabulary of basic terms for cataloguing costume". This is
useful, with items identified by lots of clear sketches. Unfortunately it was
published in a rather obscure source: _Waffen- und Kostumkunde_ Jahrgang 1982,
p.119-151. (Munchen and Berlin : Deutscher Kunstverlag). You may find that a
local member of the Committee will have an offprint or photocopy. There are
some moves in the Costume Committee to revise this and make it more widely
available, and I have passed your enquiry on to the person coordinating this
(not on Internet as far as I know).

2. The Art and Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) people are interested in the area
of costume and may be doing more work on costume terms. Look at what AAT
already contains and contact them with your needs and ideas. You could join the
AAT-L mailing list if you want to discuss this area with other users.

3. A book published last year sounds relevant, though I have not seen it:
        Davies, Stephanie Curtis (compiler and illustrator). _A costume
        language: dictionary of dress terms_. Malvern : Cressrelles Pub.,
        1994).

Sorry, I have no more information about size, target readership or reviews of
this.

Regards

Leonard Will

--
Dr Leonard D Will                           Tel: +44 181 372 0092
Information Management Consultant           Fax: +44 181 372 0094