From:
Ann McMullen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 08:29:04 -0500
Cross-posted to Museum-l, NAGPRA-l, and Native-l; please excuse duplications.

For those of you planning to attend the Midwest Museums Conference in
Cincinnati, September 20-23, 1995, I'd like to post a program change and
invitation.

Thursday, the 21st, 3:45-5:00 pm

COMMUNICATION AND CONSULTATION: NAGPRA ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION

Ann McMullen, Curator/North American Ethnology, Milwaukee Public Museum
David Grignon, Historic Preservation Director, Menominee Tribe

With the deadline for compliance with the 1995 NAGPRA inventories of
Native American human remains and associated funerary objects looming,
the experiences of institutions already involved in the process of
consultation and coordinating tribal visits can provide valuable
perspectives.  This session (in the form of a roundtable coordinated by
one curator and one tribal historic preservation director) will be a
forum for the exchange of experiences and ideas specifically on the
aspect of NAGPRA compliance which is immediately at hand: continuing
consultation between museums and tribes.  Because contact, consultation,
and tribal visits will continue long after NAGPRA deadlines, we feel it is
important to hear how consultation can be productive for both sides.

We intend this as an informal gathering, but hope to attract participants
who are willing to share their experiences from both sides.  Please feel
free to forward this message to folks you think should attend, or have
them contact me.  Thanks, and hope to see you there!

Ann McMullen
Curator of North American Ethnology
Milwaukee Public Museum
800 West Wells Street