Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 1995 17:31:42 EST
No Laughing OK. We use PCfile as an intermediate platform to capture
information about our collections and donors. The donor information
we export into MS Access a Windows programme that has a lot of whistles
and bells and does not need an expensive programmer.
The collections information on PCfile is converted to a MARC format and
then uploaded into the mainframe system at Queens University where our
collections catalogues are put online for national and international access.

Given financial constraints it might not be a bad idea to stay with
a DB111 product or shareware like PCfile as in intermediate platform. The
advantage is that virtually every current data base product on the market
can import DB111 or PCfile easily. The other advantage is that PCfile can
be used on older machines thus enabling these old clunkers to get a few more
years of life.

Maurice D. Smith, Curator, Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston.