Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 16:43:43 -0800
Paul -

Most contemporary art curators come from museum studies, art history, or
studio art graduate programs.  There's lots of them walking around, and the
economics of the profession are not very promising -- too many qualified
candidates and too few jobs.  Large supply -- small demand.  This means
that not only is it hard to find a job, when you do the pay is low.

Having a writing background helps.  Start using your journalism experience
to write about art.  Review a few exhibits on spec and then pitch them to
some art magazines (provide photos, make it easy for them).  If you get
published and have a compelling point of view this will help when you go
after a job.  Curate some shows on spec also -- articulate the exhibit's
historical/theoretical point of view and compile slides of included artists
-- then market the idea to some nonprofit galleries, museums, and/or
alternative spaces.  Line up some funding for a show idea and you're almost
certain to find a space to host it.

Build a track record, dont expect much, keep your newspaper job, and good luck!

On 9/30 Paul ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I want to learn about what it takes to become a curator, preferably in
>contemporary art. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to send
>me some advice via e-mail?
>I'm working as an editor at a daily newspaper and have 10 years of
>journalism experience. But I'm seriously considering a career change.
>I have an undergraduate degree in art and have done graduate work in
>journalism, and I would like to use my skills and experience in in the
>arts.
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>Paul

Stephen Nowlin
Vice President
Director, Alyce de Roulet Williamson Gallery
Art Center College of Design
1700 Lida Street
Pasadena, California 91103  USA
(818)396-2397vox (818)405-9104fax