Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 12:24:02 EDT
I have used 3M double coated foam mounting tape for over 20 years to mount
small exhibit labels to painted walls, but am increasingly impatient with the
cleanup necessary.  We are an art museum with changing shows that rarely last
over 10 weeks.  The labels are prepared on a word processor, laser printed,
mounted on scrap mat board, and bevel cut.  They are light weight, easily
replaced, and not expected to have a long life anyway.  The foam tape is great
for mounting them to the walls, but even when cut into bits 1/8 x 1/2" the
tape leaves its back half and adhesive on the wall when the label is removed.
This requires much scraping and burnishing of the wall surface to clean off. I
prefer not to repaint the walls between shows, the turnover is so great, and
even touchups show too much.  I wonder if the stuff is available in a low tack
variety, or what other preparators are using in similar low budget situations
to mount this type of exhibit label to their painted walls.
Let's have a discussion...

   Stephen B. Ringle, Registrar/Preparator    [log in to unmask]
   University of Maine Museum of Art
   5712 Carnegie Hall, Room 109                vox: 207-581-3257
   Orono, Maine   04469-5712                   fax: 207-581-3083