Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Claire Pillsbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 08:10:50 -0800
Philadelphia's Franklin Institute produced a traveling exhibit on the brain
about 4 or 5 years ago.  I saw it at the Science Museum of Minnesota.
Overall it was very good - clever interactives, excellent mini
documentaries about neuro and mental illness (migraine, schizophrenia, etc)
that were shown continuously inside mini "theaters", a strangely
mesmerizing centerpiece of a large translucent brain that had various
colored lights inside that could light up to show you different brain
regions, etc. There were obvious signs of expert input on the content
presented and from what I saw, it all worked for the visitors as well! I
would reccomend that you contact the PR department at the Franklin for more
info. . .
>The Boston Museum of Science has an obtuse exhibit on the brain- one
>walks into a mirrored hall with black squigglies (neuron representations)
>painted on the walls.  A crackling sound (simulated neurons firing)
>periodically surrounds the visitor.  I cannot imagine visitors gleaning
>anything from it. While the museum is fairly active in cutting edge
>exhibit development they keep the above mentioned "display".
>
>On the mental health side, the Harvard Medical School museum has a
>display of Phineas T. Gage's skull.  Mr. Gage was tamping dynamite with
>a long steel rod when the dynamite exploded propelling the rod through
>his skull.  The label explains that Mr. Gage recovered completely except
>for his new predisposition to swear frequently.  This is a much viewed
>exhibit and people typically read the whole label.  You may have seen Mr.
>Gage's skull in Discover or some other scientific popular magazine.
>
>On Thu, 24 Aug 1995, Beatrice Matkovic wrote:
>
>>    About four years ago the Lawrence Hall of Science outside of San
>> Francisco, California had an interesting exhibit about the brain. I'm
>> not sure if it's still there. I just tried looking it up on the World
>> Wide Web, but it doesn't seem to have a page. Good luck!
>>
>> Beatrice Matkovic
>> Exhibit Designer
>> National Air and Space Museum
>> Washington, DC

Claire Pillsbury, Exhibit Developer, TEL: 408-279-7136, FAX: 408-279-7197

Tech Museum of Innovation
145 West San Carlos Street
San Jose, CA  95113-2006
USA