From:
Ronn Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 1995 11:06:14 -0400
Margaret Pezalla...

Sorry I couldn't get back to you on this before now, but my
recommendations for "Intro Books on Contemporary Art" would include the
following:

WAYS OF SEEING, by John Berger (Penguin Books, $10/paper)
BELIEVING IS SEEING, by Mary Anne Staniszewski (Penguin Books, $14.95/paper)

The first is based on a BBC television series and was published originally in
1972.  It might be more theoretical than you need, but worth considering.  The
second is a lot less theoretical, much more user friendly.  It was published
earlier this year and is used (I think) in Freshman Foundation courses at
the Rhode Island School of Design.  People with little or no experience of
contemporary art seem to find it helpful.  Both books contain lots of
illustrations, which always helps.

Ronn