From:
Jack Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 22:43:04 -0700
Sounds like the old "Five fingers for Jesus" to me.

I have no objection to the return of artifacts to a culture which can
support a claim; I only expect the culture to make good on it's claim,
whatever the geography.

Making good, to me, includes the conservation of the artifact (an
artifact which may be held in one's hand or put together in a field, or
something in between). Failing that, the artifact is best left alone,
even if that includes the appearance of having been abandoned in some
storehouse.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation lab
Portland, Oregon