From:
Jack Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 23:18:36 -0700
It was with some consternation that I read Anita Cohen-Williams' posting.
Were we to meet at some conference, I would buy her a double whatever she
might be drinking and then shout into her ear (not because I was angry...
probably; but because the piano was so loud) WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU
TALKING ABOUT!

I've known for some time (approx. 20 years) that museums don't really
give a rat's ass about conservation, but to see it so blatantly expressed
is very offensive.  There is an inherent responsibility which museums
take on when they accept an artifact. There is a responsibility to the
current public and to the future.  A casual attitude to the destruction
of artifacts, as was implicit in Anita Cohen-Williams' posting informs my
feelings about many museums, and also informs those who may, from time to
time, review NEA/NEH grants.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Laboratory
Portland, OR