From:
Suzanne Quigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 20:58:23 -0500
I would like to second what Robert Baron said:

>The above warning [with respect to  'X' numbners] about mixing alpha and
>numeric characters in >accession numbers holds only for the most simple
>database systems.  Most advanced
>systems provide ways to parse alphanumeric accession numbers and to sort
>the collection correctly.

When I was at the Detroit Institute of Arts, we used an X number system to
indicate the date the piece was located, thus X1989.1 was the first object
bearing no identifiable number located in the 1989 inventory.  Such numbers
are easily reconcilable against object 'not located' in the same inventory
- provided full descriptions are on line or at least available.  The use of
an X prefix was easily handled because we parsed out the copmponent parts
of the accession numbers in the database anyway.  A lot depends on the
sohphistication of the software.

Suzanne Quigley
Head Registrar, Collections and Exhibitions
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
1071 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10128
212 423 3568