From:
Wayne Norris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 17:49:23 EDT
Any suggestions?

I am working with a lithographing firm to see what can be done to preserve their
sample books of paper labels.  The company has been around since the
turn-of-the-century and the sample books are actually old ledger books with the
labels pasted in.  Each book holds about 50 - 100 (13"x19") pages and the labels
are pasted on each side.

Most of the books are in good condition.  Since the ledgers are loose-leaf post
binders, one option is to encapsulate the pages, thus maintaining the original
format.  This method would be quite costly for the entire project since there
are about 25 ledger books in total.  Can anyone recommend alternative methods to
encapsulation?

One of the sample books is in poor condition - the pages are moldy but some of
the labels are still in tact.    This volume should be frozen and cleaned but
since the ledger is bound, the pages can't be encapsulated without permanently
removing the pages.  Are there other practical options?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.  Responses may be posted to
this list or e-mailed to me directly.  Thanks in advance!

Susan Norris