From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 21:02:52 -0400
On Wed, 13 Sep 1995 HNEEDHAM <[log in to unmask]> said:

> By far, the largest proportion of our visitors seem to prefer a mix of
equal
>parts of education and entertainment.

I fail to understand the nature of the dichotomy implied above between
"education" and "entertainment."  By creating this distinction, does one
mean to imply that "education" is learning that is not fun or rewarding and
"entertainment" something that is fun and possibly rewarding, but is not
"educational?"

I would think that one among many goals of modern museums is to make
education entertaining.  In contrast, the themepark or the Disneypark may
or may not make entertainment educational.  Why have we inherited the
assumption that education in museums is not fun?

Furthermore, let me note that there must be a distinction to be made
between what is meant by "educational" in museum and in themepark settings;
but, that is enough for now.
--

Robert A. Baron
Museum Computer Consultant