From:
Robert MacKimmie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 11:51:32 -0700
Following up on the Security of Images issue:

C. Whittle states:
>>I don't understand this "security" preoccupation.  Virtually every
museum shop sells art postcards and many images from your collections
are in books.

In addition to everything else, I handle photo reproductions from our
collections. In explaining to project people why we are not yet
allowing dissemination of our images via CD projects, it is very
straightforward to explain that postcards and books, when printed,
carry copyright notices. If someone copies these reproductions beyond
the Title 17 provisions, they are liable in copyright infringement
litigation.

When you copy a digital file, there is no way to put a rubberstamped
copyright notice on the back, thus no litigation streams the
offenders toward justice! We are in new waters, folks. Take
neccessary precautions.

There was the story of the archive which posted 300 dpi image files
to the net only to have the images beginning to show up on music CDs
only months later. It illustrates that "anything goes."

Robert MacKimmie