From:
mark Erik nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 11:39:39 -0400
I never heard of a standard center level, but this was a subject of much
discussion here at the U of M Museum of Art. We had a cantankerous
curator who was rather short and insisted on a 57 1/2" center. This made
it much more complicated to figure hanging measurments for us already
suffering preparators. I always thought they looked too low at that
height, especially on a 12' high wall. Since the grouchy curator left, we
have, with relief, adopted our own standard of a nice even round 60"
center. It makes it much easier to measure, and larger pieces are less
often forced off center. One might think the higher center line would
possibly be a problem for the vertically challenged, but we have so far
had no complaints.

 Good luck, Mark