From:
Jim Czarniecki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 08:44:57 -0500
In message  <[log in to unmask]> Mindy Lehrman Cameron, Museum
discussion list writes:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 1995, Linda Young answered my request for a definition of
> "museum" with the following:

> >A museum is a non-profit-making, permanent institution in the service of
> >society and its devlopment, and open to the public, which acquires,
> >conserves, researches, communicates and exhibits, for purposes of study,
> >entertainment and enjoyment, material evidence of people and their
> >environment.  [ICOM Statutes, article 2, adopted by the 16th General
> >Assembly, 1989]

LInda, Mindy, et al,

Something in the ICOM definition (which in every other way seems a good one)
made me think of museums in the context of other entities in the "independent
sector," i.e., the sector which is fundamentally *not* governmental nor
corporate/business--even though some museums do exist in those sectors--it
includes educational, charitable, philanthropic, etc. organizations.

Although we call them "non-profit" or "not-for-profit" or as in ICOM's
definition, "non-profit-making," the actual structure is one where "profit" *is*
made but is  not *distributed*--legally it is reinvested in the entity's
mission.

In this mid-1990s environment this particular point of view may be especially
helpful as you structure your organization. Profit can never be the principal
motive, but it can be an effective means to more "constuctive" ends--such as
your mission, your program, and your community's needs. Good luck as you take on
the challenge!   Jim Czarniecki <[log in to unmask]>

> Thank you.  Yes, this is good, but definitely open for discussion. For
> instance, don't many libraries meet these criteria?  Maybe a definition is
> only imperative in terms of funding (governmental in particular)
Libraries carry out similar functions but the "objects" differ substantially,
and the "collections use" issues in libraries are very different from most
museums

Funding may help define the "sector" that a museum resides in (public, private,
independent, etc.) but is probably not an ingredient in the definition.