From:
Kate Desulis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 09:07:37 +0100
The Adler Planetarium is re-installing its permanent exhibition of
historical scientific instruments, and we're working on a method for
controlling the environment inside the exhibit cases.  Since we can't
control the temperature and relative humidity of the exhibit hall, we're
using sealed cases to control the environment inside each case.  We'll have
around 40 exhibit cases containing artifacts (mainly metals).  We're
planning to use "passive" environmental control (i.e. silica gel and
activated charcoal) as recommended by our conservation consultant.

What I'm wondering is if any other museums have used this method,
especially on such a large scale.  If so, how did it work, what problems
did you have, how staff intensive was it, etc.?  Any comments, suggestions,
or horror stories would be very appreciated!  Thanks.

Kate Desulis                         (312) 322-0821 phone
The Adler Planetarium                (312) 322-2257 fax
1300 S. Lake Shore Drive             [log in to unmask]
Chicago, Illinois 60605