From:
Jason Mather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 16:04:23 -0800

> Stop your whining my fellow Canadians. Stop acting like victims of the
> American steamroller. There are more of them than there are of us by a long
> shot. And besides, they have never failed to respond to any purely Canadian
> issue with the same fervour that they respond to their own issues.
>
> And besides, their issues are almost certainly global issues. They are
> always on the leading edge of changes that are about to occur in our
> cultural industries. I watch while they bleed knowing that we will follow
> shortly. The only time I delete is when they are going on about specific
> funding agencies because, of course, ours are not the same.
>
> Try putting something provocative on this list and see what considered
> about, I need only to turn to the list and see that someone else is
> struggling with the same thing.
>
> And Jason, are you not looking inward when you ask them to look outward.
> And, I hardly find Vancouver the Great White North.
> >>
> >>      There have been some colourful exchanges about the
> >>      apparent self-absorption of our US colleagues on this
> >>      list.
> >
> >        I would like to say that I agree, up here in the great white
> >north we are even closer to what you are refering.
> >
> >        J. Mather
> >          Simon Fraser University
> >        Burnaby, B.C., Canada
>

> Linda Tanaka
> Vancouver Museum        British Columbia  Canada

    Linda, I think that you are correct when you say that we
should try putting something more provocative on this list and for my
short, incomplete statement I appologise, but I must say that by
asking someone to look outwards at all things considered I do not
believe that I am takeing an inward view, I am addressing the concept
as it applies to all of those who are affected by it (the readers of
this list).
    As for the great white north comment, I was merely using
common words that many of my American friends use to describe Canada
as a whole, and by in large during the winter Canada is the Great (as
in Large) White North.

        See Ya.