From:
Jon Radel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 1995 22:03:16 -0500
> Since my original message, I have calmed down somewhat.  However, given
> that this is the 75th anniversary of the passage of the woman suffrage
> amendment -- after an 80 year struggle by women -- I still find this
> incredibly troubling.
>
> I also still believe that anyone on this list who is also troubled should
> contact the White House and ask President Clinton to please recognize the
> importance of this year in the history of women in America.
>
> Denise D. Meringolo
> National Museum of American History
> Smithsonian, Washington, DC

Every message I've seen on this appears to be working on the assumption
that somehow Women's History Month and/or proclamations going through the
White House have been singled out.  I just asked my resident Fed, and she
told me, last she heard Congress had decided to drop all proclamations
about this or that day, week, or month.  The whole matter was getting out
of hand.  As someone who has on occasion attempted to detect any pattern
in which causes deserve only a day, and which a whole month, I'm afraid
that I see Congress'es point.

What my source did not know was whether the President is in the habit of
issuing executive proclamations.  I would assume that he'd do those without
regard to what Newt might think.

--Jon Radel