From:
Lisa Roberte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 13:03:27 -0500
As long as we are on the topic of historical revisionism, I wonder if anyone
can provide me with examples of other exhibits along the likes of Last Act
and West as America in which exhibit developers took an explicit stance
against conventional views.  The examples needn't necessarily be so
inflammatory either.  The example of Colonial Williamsburg comes to mind, for
instance, when they began interpreting the dirt and slavery that had been
ignored for so many years.  (And by the way, does anyone know when that began
happening?)

I am looking in particular for less recent examples.  This is for a history
of museum interpretation, and I am trying (in part) to trace changes in
interpretive content--in particular, looking at the effect visitor input or
new scholarly perspectives have had on exhibits.  When did "revisionist"
interpretations start to appear in museum exhibitions?

Thanks for your help.

Lisa Roberts
Chicago Botanic Garden