From:
Richard Chute <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 09:08:13 -0800
Robb-

Thanks for asking for input!

Three things I'd consider are:

1)  Museums are repositories not only of objects, but of VALUES as well.
The reason that we spend so much federal money on things ranging from
defending liberty to providing a social safety net for the
"underprivileged" is that we are protecting that which make us human and
that which makes us distinctly American.  How do we know what makes us
human or American?  We learn from our educational and cultural
institutions.  Less money for museums will fewer programs or reduced
quality in programs that teach us about ourselves.  In other words, what
are we preserving with military and social spending if our core values are
lost?

2)  Museums have great educational potential that is still relatively
untapped by our society.  Museums can help to bolster an education system
that is otherwise perceived as being in decline.  Museums also have a role
to play in informal adult continuing education.  These are more practical
and mundane educational roles than the transmission of values in point #1,
but worth considering.

3)  The objects in museum are finite in number, and require care if they
are to last into the future for posterity.  A loss of support for
museums--particularly if IMS's conservation programs disappear--could lead
to the loss of our cultural heritage.  If lost, it may not be replaceable.

These are just a few thoughts that I've communicated to my congressman.
I'm curious to see what others have to say.

Richard Chute ([log in to unmask])          Dir. of Corp. & Fndtn. Rel.

Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden         1500 North College Ave.
Claremont, CA 91711
Phone:  (909) 625-8767, ext. 222        FAX:  (909) 626-7670