From:
Murph the Surf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 1995 00:51:32 GMT
[log in to unmask] (Marg Meikle) wrote:
>Some sites
>are a researcher's dream and others are merely a brochure with links.
>
>Are there any museum WWW sites that museums folks in general hold up as the
>model for an ideal world?  Is there one you all speak about in hushed tones?

The Web is a museum. The urge to collect, conserve and exhibit is in the very
nature of a good web site. The very idea of the "museu=
m" is in the process of being rethunk by people who never had a say before.

A few of my favorites (but by no means all) are:

Chiat Day Idea Factory
http://www.chiatday.com/factory/

Robotic Tele-Excavation
http://www.usc.edu/dept/raiders/

Pompeii Forum Project
http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/pompeii/page-1.html

Sarajevo Pipeline
http://MediaFilter.org/MFF/SJidx.html

Christo and Jeanne-Claude Wrap the Reichstag
http://www.nbn.com/youcan/christo

Squashed Bug Zoo
http://albert.ccae.virginia.edu/~dcm3c/zoo.html

The Mattress Factory
http://pscinfo.psc.edu/~mathis/mf/home.html

Field Museum of Natural History
http://www.bvis.uic.edu/museum/

t0 Institute for New Culture Technology
http://kernighan.imc.akh-wien.ac.at/t0/t0/t0home.htm

The New York Botanical Gardens
http://www.pathfinder.com/@@nUShoGASFwAAQITH/vg/Gardens/NYBG/index.html

Dia Center for the Arts
http://www.diacenter.org/index.html

UC Berkeley University Art Museum/Pacific Film Archive
http://www.uampfa.berkeley.edu/

Library of Congress
http://lcweb.loc.gov/homepage/lchp.html

IRCAM
http://www.ircam.fr/

Ohio State University at Newark Art Gallery
http://www.cgrg.ohio-state.edu/Newark/

For more check out my RESOURCES section on ArtNetWeb:
http://www.awa.com/artnetweb/
ROBBIN MURPHY, ArtNetBBS/ArtNetWEB
426 Broome Street, NYC 10013
Phone: 212 [log in to unmask]