From:
Kevin Gene Canze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 12:47:31 -0500
I'm looking for information about Hygrothermographs and their electronic
counterparts.
        We've been using old-fashioned, albeit tried and true,
hygrothermographs in our galleries for years, if not decades, to monitor
relative humidity and temperature on a 24-hour basis.  The instruments
function just fine, but I have to admit I'm not altogether happy with
having wet, indelible ink in the middle of our art galleries.  Sure, it's
enclosed, in very small amounts, and handled only under strictly
controlled conditions, but even if it's never occurred, it's possible to
have a spill in a very unfortunate spot.  I am aware of inexpensive ($50-100)
electronic measuring devices that give instantaneous readings of temp and
RH and are quickly and easily calibrated, we have one and it works
beautifully.  However, we need to have an accessible record, hard copy or
electronic, and the electronic instruments I'm familiar with don't have
that  capability.
        I would think someone has put together a system that can download
statistics like Temp. and RH to a computer and use relatively simple
software to store the information electronically.  Is it still necessary
to use 100-year-old equipment to record info on paper charts that end
up in deep storage almost immediately after they're taken off the
instruments?
        Thanks in advance for any insights, information, suggestions on
this subject.

Kevin Canze
Museum Preparator
University of Michigan Museum of Art