From:
Lauren Lantos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 10:50:45 -0500
Although Congress has much to do to meet the 100 day time-frame of "The
Contract with America," both Senator Larry Pressler (R-SD), Chairman of
the Senate Commerce Committee, and Congressman Jack Fields (R-TX),
Chairman of the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and Finance, are
working towards early passage of a telecommunications bill.

Last week, Senator Pressler presented a draft of his telecommunications
bill to Senator Hollings, the ranking Democrat on the Commerce Committee.
Senator Hollings has two weeks to review the legislation and comment,
after which Senator Pressler will begin hearings.

Unlike last year's bill, the legislation does not include the public
access provisions, which would have required industry to provide moderate
support to schools, museums and libraries through preferred rates and some
technical assistance with connections to the highway.  In other words, it
appears that the new legislation will not require the telecommunications
industry to provide access to the information highway for qualified
institutions in return for the billions it stands to make.

In the House, Congressman Fields and ranking Democrat Edward Markey (D-MA)
are expected to complete their draft by February 15.

If the museum community wants its voice heard in the debate on
telecommunications reform, we must act now!  While the Senate Commerce
Committee is reviewing Senator Pressler's bill and the House is drafting
another, it is imperative that we mobilize our grassroots network to
inform Congress that schools, museums and libraries are logical providers,
not simply consumers, of educational and public information on the
superhighway.  We must let Congress know that schools, museums and
libraries, as is evident in partnerships being formed under Goals 2000 and
the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, are pooling their resources in
new efforts to educate America's children and adults.  The information
highway is the ultimate tool in our attainment of these goals.  In return
for deregulation, it is essential that industry help make access to the
superhighway possible for these public and nonprofit educational institutions.

Please write your members of Congress to urge our inclusion in both House
and Senate telecommunications reform legislation.  Letters may be sent to:

        The Honorable ___________       The Honorable __________
        U.S. Senate                     U.S. House of Representatives
        Washington, D.C.  20510         Washington, D.C.  20515

If you would like talking points to use in your letter, please contact
Kristi Walker, Issues Manager, AAM Government and Public Affairs, (202)

Please send copies of any letters you write or responses you receive.

Thanks!