From:
Lee Langston-Harsn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 1995 09:45:30 EST
Robert:

Thanks for the heartfelt discussion about labeling for older visitors.
I'm not too old to enjoy my museum experiences, but my eye sight ain't
what it used to be either, so I'm thrilled to hear of someone putting
the needs of the visitor ahead of the esthetic whole.

As a museum curator who also co-teaches a museum lab course on exhibit
design, I was glad to get your ideas re: labeling.  I hope you don't
mind, but I copied your response and gave it to the instructor who's
handling the lab class this semester.  I think that his students need to
know who they're designing their displays for!

I'm always on the prwol for innovative and inexpensive ways in which to
get the word across, and have found that with the new age (and
accessiblilty) of computers, labeling is better, even in tiny facilities
like mine.  I use an enlarger (xerox), mylar or transparency film, and a
lazer printer or MAC, for the labeling.  Artist spray adhesive helps
stick the mylar either to glass, walls, or matt board.  I don't suggest
using this type of adhesive on plexi-glass, as it will eventually "eat"
away the plexi.  Places like KINKOs or a copier shop can help create
inexpensive (and quick) labels.

Good luck!

Lee Langston-Harrison
Curator