From:
William Bryans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 11:49:42 -0600
        One of my Applied History graduate students is devising a museum
     education program in partnership with our local history museum.  It
     will be aimed at 9th graders, all of whom that year take Oklahoma
     history.  The historical context involves twentieth century Oklahoma,
     and her objectives are two-fold.  First, she wants to bring greater
     attention to topics under-represented in teaching the state's history,
     and in a way which emphasizes hands-on use of primary sources.
     Second, she wants to make students aware of the interpretative nature
     of history, and the role museums can play in presenting those
     interpretations.  The main activity in the program will involve
     dividing each participating class into  several teams, each of which
     will research, design, and prepare an exhibit relevant to topic in
     twentieth century Oklahoma history.

        I would think that someone, somewhere has undertaken a similar
     project.  We both would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone with
     first-hand experience in such an endeavor.  General suggestions and
     comments would be equally welcome.  Dealing with post-elementary
     students appears to be fraught with problems--periodizatiojn of the
     school day, multiple teachers to deal with if the program calls for a
     visit to the museum, and general teacher apathy.  Any insights about
     dealing with these issues would likewise be helpful.

        Thanks.

     Bill Bryans
     Coordinator, Applied History Program
     Department of History