Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mary Christine Devinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 18:30:05 -0500
Saw this on the rec.gardens group and thought someone here might be
interested.

Chrissie Devinney

Subject: Yunnan collection
From: [log in to unmask] (Gerald W. Roe)
Date: 8 Dec 1994 07:13:21 GMT

Our nursery is working with the Kun Ming Botannical Institute in

China on arranging a plant exploration and collection trip to

Yunnan Province in the spring of 1995. We made a reconnaissance

trip last spring and found the area to be a botanical treasure

trove; however there were serious difficulties with the local

authorities regarding permission to collect there. Through

negotiations with the locals at that time, and with the Kun Ming

Institute on a subsequent trip, we have paved the way for what we

hope will be a very fruitful mission. The Institute will provide

us with guides, vehicles, drivers, translators, etc.

As part of the conditions of the cooperative venture, we need to

establish American repositiories for the Yunnan collection. The

Foster Botanical Gardens in Hawaii has agreed to handle the

tropical portion of the collection, and we are now seeking a

similar institution to handle the temperate zone plants. This

could be either a university or a private botanical garden. We

favor a site in the state of Oregon, but would be willing to

consider other sites. If your institution would be interested in

handling the collection, please email me.

--
Gerry Roe    Trans-Pacific Nursery    Rare & Exotic Plants
Email catalog available.    [log in to unmask]