From:
Trevor Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 1994 10:25:47 GMT
In message  <[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] writes:
> Please send me a list of mysteries set in museum and archaeology in fiction.
> From:  [log in to unmask]

It's only a passing mention, but about 2 pages of action in Dorothy L
Sayer's _Murder Must Advertise_ take place in the Natural History
Museum in London.  This incident takes place half-way through Chapter XV.

I'm not sure if it counts as a mystery - a novel of suspense perhaps -
The House in Norham Gardens, Penelope Lively 0-14-031976-X  I have no
hestitation in reccommending this children's book to adult readers, especially
those with an interest in material culture.  The museum involved is the
Pitt Rivers Museum, in Oxford.

There are many more books set in museums which are not mysteries.

Fantasy writers, in particular, like to use them as gateways to other
worlds.

By the way, I should be very grateful if anyone could tell me the name of
the children's illustrated story by, I think, Jill Patton Walsh, in which
children in succeeding ages loose something, but find something from the
preceeding age (e.g. child a looses a flint tool, child b looses a jug but
finds the tool, child c looses a coin but finds the jug).