From:
Robin Panza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 1994 09:38:00 -5
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Linda Tanaka
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> I have been charged with the onimous duty of finding out for my museum what
> exactly the collection manager does in a medium sized institution. Because
> we are very short of funds jobs have been consolidated into fewer resource
> people. In this new position, which will be called something with a
> technical connotation to it, the management is proposing a person who is
> able to supervise and perform the following functions: be in charge of all
> research activities (directing what is to be done and handling the data
> produced); data processing and all data base management like storage,
> archiving and uploading to national databases; all activities within the
> storage vaults (supervising access and activities); security for the whole
> building (determining who has access to the collections and that the
> building is physically secure from intruders); exhibit maintenance (may
> include directing teams of trained cleaners) and responsible for
> conservation (not active but preventive and not physically doing the work
> but determining priorities and making the collection accessible to the
> conservators). The untold story here seems to include network management on
> a very basic technical level.
>
> If your museum has a collections management or administration position that
> fits this description or even close please mail to me at my e-mail address
> as this may not interest everyone on the list. The information is urgently
> required and will be greatly appreciated. Incidently, I'm in Vancouver,
> Canada and yes it is still raining. But it's a warm rain.
> Thanks Linda

Why ominous?  Anyway, I suggest you check the article "Natural history
collections management in North America", by John E. Simmons, in _Journal of
Biological Curation_ 1(3/4):  1-17.  Simmons is at MNH, University of Kansas,
Lawrence, 66045-2454.  The article is a great overview of the various
interpretations of the terms "curator" and "collection manager", across
institutions and across history.

Robin
(I am using museum-l because I believe that this is a topic that ought to be of
interest to museum personnel everywhere.)