From:
Edith Serkownek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 09:38:31 -0500
Our institution has a fairly large collection of products from a general
store which operated in the 1920s.  Unfortunately many of the paper and tin
packages still contain their original contents.  I am concerned about
possibly attracting pests into the collections with this material and the
"leaking" which has begun in many of the paper packages.  Many items are
currently on display.  Does anyone have a policy on the care and/or disposal
of package contents at their institution?

Secondly, I just received an estimate for UV blocking window film for our
historic house.  The products we are considering are Llumar N1065CDF and
UVCLPS.  These are guarenteed for aprox. 7 years.  However, I would be
interested to know what is a reasonable lifespan for these products barring
any accidents?  When can we/or can we expect to have to replace these?  If
anyone is familiar with the advantages or disadvantages of these products I
would also be interested.

Thank you.

Edith Serkownek
Education Curator