From:
"R. Murphy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 1994 11:49:20 GMT
Jim Czarniecki <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Holly, someone may have already responded, but just in case:
> You do not have to own an object to own the rights. Its sort of like
> derivatives--the "whole" is split up into parts.  Michael Jackson doesnt
> own _Yesterday_, only the rights to its royalties.  Best, Jim

I'm in the process of writing my master's thesis on intellectual
property rights, digital images and the NII/GII. Has anyone run
into a situation where an artist contractually works for a
gallery (or does a commission) and so, legally, the gallery holds
the copyright on the object produced since it was done "for hire"?
There was a case years ago concerning a newspaper photo of a
maquette of the Picasso sculpture in
Chicago but I haven't run into anything post-1978 when the
current laws went into effect.

Robbin Murphy