From:
Linda Tanaka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 21:24:00 PST
>Wherein does a collectons manager differ from a curator?
>
>-- Graeme Mason.

Dear Graeme
I have received so many considered responses to my question about collection
manager's roles that I will be able to answer this in the near future. For
the immediate time, all I can say is some institutions regard them as the
same, however, it seems to me and several other respondents that they are
quite different in that the curator provides in depth knowledge of material
history and the cultural signifigance of the object. A collection manger
provides a record of the object and provides access to the objects for the
curators to study and interpret. Collection managers, to me, administer the
records and handling and curators provide an academic approach to the
interpretation of the object.
More later,
Sincerely
Linda TAnaka