From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 1994 09:34:27 -0700
C E Gyllenhaal ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: I'm putting together a small exhibit on Egyptian funerary magic which
: includes a number of faience amulets. One of the amulets is broken in
: half. Does anyone know of an acceptable adhesive for faience (Egyptian
: faience is a glazed composition consisting primarily of powdered quartz
: with a binding medium such as natron or soda-lime). I'm on a very small
: budget and would like to avoid going to an objects conservator if
: possible. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

You'll often hear conservators say: the hardest thing to repair is something
that's been repaired improperly.  Issues such as reversibility, compatibility,
aging characteristics, and 'contamination' of the specimen are real.

All that aside, I'd say an adhesive such as B-72 in toluene would be fairly
benign.  I've heard that Conservation Materials in Sparke, NV sells a version
of HMG (normally a cellulose nitrate) which is B-72.  Call and ask.

: I'm new to Museum-L. Are these kinds of nuts-and-bolts questions OK?

I would think so, but what's the majority position?

John Burke
conservator