From:
"Paul Apodaca." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 14:41:17 -0800
>In article <[log in to unmask]>,
>Tommy Harden <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 6 Oct 1994 [log in to unmask] wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, I'm posting this for a friend...are there any museums in the
>> > Santa Barbra area?  Is there a listing of some sort that I could get?
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.    ~MAC   [log in to unmask]
>> >

>>         If I were ever in Santa Barbara I would go to the Buckminster
>> Fuller Institute, being such the Bucky fan that I am.
>>
>>                         Buckminster Fuller Institute
>>                         2040 Alameda Padre Serra, Suite 224
>>                         Santa Barbara, ca. 93103
>

>While in Santa Barbara, visit the Santa Barbara Museum of Art (or is it
>the Santa Barbara Art Museum?)  Either way, they have a nice collection of
>modern art and some good california Impressionist works.  Have a nice
>time, oh and there is a new botanical garden there that is supposed to be
>fab.  A recently ressurected private residence that is quite a marval--
>Morgan

The Santa Barbara Natural History Museum holds a very important collection
of Chumash artifacts and papers of John Peabody Harrington, the most
celebrated ethnologists of California indigenous culture and an
extraordinary linguist who was a Smithsonian Curator-at-large, gathering
material on tribes outside of California as well as within. John Johns and
Jan Timbrook are the people there to contact. They have recently hired a
new Director out of Arizona.

South of SB is the Ventura Historical Museum in the town of Ventura as well
as the museums at the Missions Santa Barbara, Santa Ines, La Concepcion and
San Buenaventura, and don't forget the Swedish tourist hamlet of Solvang
for color and the Chumash reservation of Santa Ines.

The best place to eat in SB is a little tacqueria on Milpas street that is
a legend in the town. Just ask a local.

Paul Apodaca
Bowers Museum