From:
John Chadwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Oct 1994 14:49:00 MST
First, the problem with the double postings has been put to rest, I hope. I was
able to track down the problem and remove the offending subscriber,
unfortunately, EVERYONE got a copy of the notice. I apologize for this, but it
is part of the technology we are involved with.

Museum-L is a dynamic AND growing community. The number of subscribers have
doubled since December, 1993. This leads to growing pains. With more than 1000
subscribers, along with several redistribution services, we have lots of people
out there reading the messages we post. This dynamic exchange across
disciplines is what has made this list so successful. However, with the
anticipated growth that is to come, with the push in Congress and by various
agencies to get more museums on line, "noise" is going to continue to be a
problem on unmoderated lists.

I am asking everyone to let me know, would you feel comfortable with a
moderated list? By moderating, I mean filtering out messages obviously meant
for the listserv, or personal messages. As Peter said, EDTECH does this very
well. I would be willing to be A moderator, but I would really like some
assistance if this is going to work. I work full-time and I am trying to finish
a doctorate program. EDTECH has three moderators, I think two could manage here
very nicely.

This is a very exciting time for museums, information technology is changing
the way we interact with the world around us. Museums, with their expertise in
interpretation, are natural leaders in taking information a step further and
helping to make information relevant and meaningful.

Thanks,

john chadwick