From:
Bruce Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 1994 23:04:38 +1000
>From:    Abby Leafe
> <[log in to unmask]> Subject: WWW and citation
 >issues
 >I am currently trying to lay the groundwork for a
 >University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology &
 >Anthropology WWW site and my supervisor is somewhat
 >concerned about having the on-line images used without our
 >permission.

I can't find the source right now, but I read a
review of a CD-ROM catalogue of copyright photographs (for use in desk
top publishing), where the images were of high resolution,
but had a very faint but discernible "watermark"
imposed on them. The user receives a clean version of
the image via some mechanism  involving payment of a fee.

I assume the "water-mark" could be electronically filtered
out using standard image processing software, however
unauthorised use is at least discouraged, which is about as
good as you can expect given that the image is going to be
transmitted anyhow. The fact that a commercial enterprise
relies on the barrier being high enough to ensure a
reasonable level of payment, would indicate that it works.

Anyone taking the trouble to make images widely available
would seem to me to be shooting themselves in the foot by
deliberately reducing the resolution.

Bruce Ford