From:
Robert Guralnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 1994 15:35:31 PDT
       Hi ---

>There is no doubt that computers are beautiful devices for retrieving
>information. But they are a *terrible* replacement for the personal
>encounters with objects that have made museums such attractions for
>centuries.

        I would disagree here on both philosophical and technological
grounds.  Medium certainly matters and actually experiencing an
object in the context of a museum has much power, especially in an
exhibit that imparts information in an interesting and narratively
sophisticated way.  But the reason this works is driven by both
the information and the medium.  If the medium is lousy (like
tinny sounds, bad images, etc...) and the information is poorly
organized and presented, then VOILA!, a terrible exhibit.  But I
am going to argue emphatically that computer technologies are
evolving such that the informational organization and depth
of, say, on-line exhibits, are stronger than traditional exhibits.
I am also going to argue that the ability for computer medium to
emulate a full sensory experience is not far from (virtual) reality.
I think that a computer that could plop you into a (virtual) reality,
like maybe experiencing the Jurassic first hand, has a very strong
appeal.  Think about movies.  They draw more people than museums per year,
yet cost about the same for entrance.  Why?  Therefore, I am not so
sure that computer are now or will remain terrible replacements for
personal encounters.

Cheers,

Robert Guralnick   | Museum of Paleontology   | University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720 | [log in to unmask] | (510) 642-9696