From:
"Mark C. Vang" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 1994 10:11:00 EST
As more of the people at my facility (Virginia Marine Science Museum) begin
using our Internet account or hear others talking about, I find myself
(trying) to answering a lot of questions like... "What is the Internet?", or
even harder yet, "What is ON the Internet?"  I have decided to hold a
"workshop" at VMSM to answer basic questions about the Net.  Why am I
bugging you (Museum-L) about this?  Well, I can't just tell a room full of
administrators, education and exhibits people that the Internet is "really
kewl" and show them a bunch of Gopher, Web, FTP sites... I need to show them
that information that is VALUABLE to them is on the Net and that it is worth
their time to learn about it and begin exploring it for themselves.

..so again, why am I bugging you?  I would like you to relate specific
resources on the net (Web, Gopher, FTP) which you, as a museum professional,
find valuable.  Also, if you would like to share information on how a
specific project benefitted from your use of the Internet, go for it.  I
have a small list of Web sites mentioned in previous Museum-L discussions,
also some information of this type has been covered in previous Museum-L
discussions and I will be searching the archives.  I would prefer it if you
would respond to me directly.  Similar questions pop up often on Museum-L
and I don't want 1000+ people groaning everyday at the gaggle of new RE:
messages for me.  I will povide a summary for the list.

I'm going all-out on this one... running a phone line to the classroom and
I'm going to set up our BarcoDATA 500 video projector so everyone can see
what I'm doing while I Netsurf LIVE!  (I hope my local providers system is
not goofy that day)  I also intend to engage in a short chat with someone
via the interactive TALK command.  I was thinking of the president of our
local Internet provider, but it would be cool if anyone on the list felt
like participating in this experiment.  (It is also a nice marketing tool to
get people to come to the workshop... "Special guest appearance by
So-and-so, of the Museum of Whatchmacallit")

Thanks for the help!

         Mark C. Vang      ..... the virtual drifter .....
          [log in to unmask]   |   [log in to unmask]
 **** In an insane society, the sane man appears insane. - Spock ****