From:
Helen Glazer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 1994 12:15:00 -0500
Within two weeks of joining Museum-L I was ready to
unsubscribe because I was overwhelmed by the number of messages.
Someone on the computing center staff here suggested the
following procedure, which I offer to other Internet beginners.  I am
ambivalent about the idea of splitting the Museum-L list and am trying
out this method for the time being.

>At the "message read command" type "q" (for quick scan).
>At the "message scan command" type the message # with which you want to
begin your scan.
>A list of messages, including the source and the subject, will appear
on your screen.  Jot down the numbers which interest you, and use the "r
(message number)" command to read those messages, e.g. "r 72000" means
read message number 72000.
>When you are finishing reading the messages, type "r skip."  That tells
the system to skip the messages you did not read, so they do not remain
on your list of unread messages.

Helen Glazer, Rosenberg Gallery, Goucher College