From:
Bob Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 1994 15:53:12 -0500
There have been comments from people who "couldn't afford the time
to monitor the list" because there are so many "trivial" messages.

Let me suggest that people learn to use the mail reading tools they
have available to them.  It's hard to give general advice, since
there are so many mail readers (mush, elm, mail, eudora,, etc. etc.),
so you should contact the computer geeks (I am one - so I feel free
to use that term) at your location for help.

As an example, here's how I read the several mailing lists I'm on in
only a few minutes a day:

All my mail lists are set to send me "digests", so I only get one
message from each list each day.  My mail reader ("mush") is set up
to send ("pipe" in Unix-ese) each message to my editor of choice
(a small version of EMACS), which shows them in "read only" mode.  This
way I only have to hit the space bar to scroll rapidly through the
digest, or I can search on "Subject:" to jump to each header.

I realize that many of the people on the list aren't computer geeks, so
all this may seem pretty arcane, but I suggest that the time spent
learning your tools (as in any area of technology) will pay off in a very
short time.

P.S.  The mail reader "elm" has lots of horsepower combined with ease
of use feature.  Ask your geek-in-redisdence.

--
Bob Rogers            Internet:  [log in to unmask]
Instrumental, Inc.    GEnie:     R.C.ROGERS