From:
"Kevin E. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 1994 22:11:07 -0500
To All:

I 've watched this dicussion for a few days now, and share concerns about
citation of "electronic communication" in "scholarly works."  If someone
uses these posts in any form, the source absolutely SHOULD be cited and
acknowledged.  However, from a realistic perspective, posting an opinion
in any written form (and in many cases public verbal form) opens you up
to citation.  It certainly appears to be acceptable practice to "quote"
from "Letters to the Editor" in newspapers, or to quote from
transcriptions of television interviews or other similar media.  A
private posting through any form of electronic medium should, in my
opinion, not be distributed elsewhere in a printed (and particularly
scholarly) format without permission.  Again, however, a private letter
from one person to another can be, in my understanding, be legally
distributed by either party without the permission of the other party in
many cases.  To leave these ramblings aside, my point is that messages on
INTERNET mailing lists are to some extent, messages posted in the public
domain -- they are posted on networks supported by public tax dollars and
many are distributed to anyone requesting subscription.  Do these
"postings" become citable public documents (assuming some form of
citation) for newspapers, television, and other media? (even if the
academic community desires to hold higher standards).  I would say that
they do as far as my limited knowledge goes... So, think before you write
until the matter is clarified!

that you post on the INTERNET -- don't issue a one time "don't cite me."
There are far too many people joining the network every day to expect
that anyone will pick up a post from last week, last month, or last year
-- if you really don't want your post cited, include a line in every
single one stating the same thing.  That MIGHT, at least, give you an
option to sue later on.

Just some ramblings on the issue

Kevin E. Smith