From:
Jack Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 1994 15:33:04 -0700
Patricia,
This is a question which has come up on other lists, and there has not
been a clear solution to the problem.

It is asserted that citations from Internet sources be cited as "Personal
Communication" giving the date.  It has been asserted that a citation
should give the name of the list, with time and date stamp as given in
the header, so that one may go into the electronic archives of the list
and recover the posting in question.

My problem with the last solution is that my time and date stamp was not
the same as the time and date stamp of the person suggesting that solution.

In the interests of scholarship, I would be inclined to cite such a
communication as "Personal Communication/date" and include that the
communication was from e.g., Museum-L; 9/24/94, and include the author
and subject line.

And keep a hard copy.

Just a thought.

Jack C. Thompson