From:
Wayne LaBar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 1994 22:04:05 EDT
Just a couple of thoughts on the discussion that has been occuring.

To Robert Guralnick and Eileen

I would state that the use of technology, especially virtual technology
should be used educationally.  This might actually mean that the technology
is used differently in various institutions.  For example a natural history
museum might use it to provide visitors a chance to appreciate the natural
beauty of the Jurassic period, meanwhile a science center could use  it
either to show how the technology works or how virtual reality is used to
design polymers.

I think a key point is that however it is used that it must have education at
its core.  More and more, amusement parks, malls and other venues are
providing virtual reality experiences.  What is different from these
enterprises and the museum community is our educational missions.  Making
sure a virtual reality experience is built upon the museum mission is what
must distinguish us from entertainment complexes, and it is what will keep us
a viable resource in the future.

Wayne LaBar
Dir. of Exhbits
The Tech Museum of Innovation