Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 1994 19:19:47 PDT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]> writes:

hnp4.ucsd.edu!sdd.hp.com!news.cs.indiana.edu!lynx.unm.edu!argo.unm.edu!not-for-

mail
> From: [log in to unmask] (jeffrey floyd stevens)
> Newsgroups: bit.listserv.museum-l,alt.artcom,rec.arts.fine
> Subject: Print Restoring Nightmare!
> Date: 30 Dec 1994 18:05:21 -0700

rec.arts.fine:9316

> Since everyone was so helpful in giving me print framing and hinging
> information (thanks to all!), I thought I'd challenge you with this new
> scenario.  While speding Xmas at my future mother-in-law's, we unframed a
> lithograph from the late fifties to reframe.  Well, what a mess!  It
> turns out that the people who did the frame glued the entire print to the
> supporting matboard.  After examination, it looked like they used some
> sort of contact paper to fix the drawing (you can see onion-skin-like
> paper peeking out from the edges of the print).  Sooooo, what are the
> options for removing this print from the matboard and then reframing?
> Good luck to all, and thanks.  Jeff

Is the print valuable?  If so, I would take it to a conservator ( a good
listing is available from the American Institute of Conservation in
Washington DC); they can reverse the adhesive without inflicting any more
damage on the print.  If it says "Sam Francis" in the corner, that's the
route I would take :).

Ralph Roessler / Paper Technologies, Inc. (800) 727-3716