From:
Deedee Acosta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 1994 12:49:29 -0800
I thought I had spewed enough on this, but I have just one more thing to add:
if a museum is trying to set a good example of a drug free environment,
what about, in some cases, the artists of the objects?  Should Native
American art not be exhibited because the artist was perhaps under the
influence of peyote or mescaline?  In the nineteenth and early part of the
twentieth centuries cocaine, laudanum, morphine, opium, etc. were not
illegal, and many members of the artistic community either dabbled in, or
were downright addicted, to such drugs (much the same as many artists today).