From:
"R. Murphy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 16:55:38 GMT
Sir Gwalchmei Ldchailon, Kight Defender of Torm
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Have you read any articles on how Michael Gates, of Microsoft, has a "pet"
> company buying up artwork? If not there was an article in one of the latest
> newsweeks, in the last three weeks I believe. Very interesting stuff. He's
> buying up the digitalization copyright of famous artwork- I think from the
> museums  or private collectors that own the originals.

Bill Gate's company Continuum is also involved with the Library
of Congress National Digital Library project, at least according
to Brock Meeks in Inter@ctive Week. So, too, are John Kluge of
Metromedia, The Packard Foundation, Stokes Imaging of Austin and
the W.K. Kellog Foundation.

As far as I know Continuum isn't buying the copyright to the works,
if there is a copyright in force, just a right to reproduce.
(The LC is starting with material that is in public domain so
copyright isn't an issue at this point).

I've been wondering how the Getty project fits into this. Seems as
though the standards are already set and we are seeing a split
forming between academic and public education use of museum
resources.

Robbin Murphy